Software/App Name: VeraCrypt
Category: Security & VPN
Setup Size: 35.85 MB for Windows & 11.02 MB for Mac
OS: Windows 10, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows 2003 & Mac OS X 10.9 or later
VeraCrypt is an open-source program that encrypts data on the fly. The software can generate a virtual encrypted disc that functions similarly to a physical disc but is contained within a file.
Pre-boot authentication can also encrypt a partition or the entire storage device. VeraCrypt is a branch of the TrueCrypt project, which has been terminated. VeraCrypt offers performance-enhancing modifications to the original cryptographic hash functions and ciphers.
VeraCrypt for Windows PC and Mac OS
When it comes to data security and storing information in an encrypted area, VeraCrypt for Windows PC is a trusted solution.
The program can create multiple additional partitions on your computer that you can mount and unmount at any moment. In this manner, you can prevent unauthorized people from accessing your data.
You can use the application to create new encrypted file containers or encrypt existing entities like a non-system partition or the full system disc. Detailed information is available throughout the process, allowing you to choose the best alternatives for your needs.
VeraCrypt for Mac OS allows you to combine several encryption modes and protection methods to achieve a high level of security for your containers. The actual partition is saved as a file in the specified location and encrypted with the algorithm of choice.
VeraCrypt for Windows PC supports AES, Serpent, Twofish, and various combinations of the three. Before applying any method to the actual files, you can run a benchmark test to make sure it works.
Furthermore, based on the available free space on your machine, you must allocate the needed storage space. To unlock the drive mounting process, you’ll need to create a password.
Features and Highlights
- Creates a virtual encrypted disc and mounts it as a real drive within a file.
- Encrypts a whole partition or storage device, like a USB flash drive or a hard drive.
- Encrypts a partition or drive that contains Windows (pre-boot authentication).
- Automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) encryption is transparent.
- Thanks to parallelization and pipelining, data can be read and written as quickly as if the disc weren’t encrypted.
- On current processors, encryption can be hardware-accelerated.
- Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system provide plausible deniability in the event that an enemy forces you to reveal the password.
VeraCrypt is a free disc encryption program based on TrueCrypt in general. It improves the security of the encryption techniques used for the system and partitions, making it resistant to new brute-force threats.
VeraCrypt was created to provide better protection for the data you want to encrypt. It is light in weight and has a simple user interface, so download VeraCrypt now.